Phone Business hours - Mon-Fri. 9-5 EST ONLY - Contact via
Zoysias.com - An Informational Website From Seedland.com
How To Seed Zoysia In Lawns & Golf Courses
Instructions on how to successfully establish a golf course
or lawn from seeds. While this information is about
the planting of Zenith Zoysia, the basic information will apply to
Also read how to
convert a cool season lawn to a zoysia grass lawn.
HOW TO CORRECTLY PLANT ZOYSIA SEEDS
- Lime to pH of 6.0-7.0 (Apply 1000 lbs of dolomitic lime if
no soil test is available.)
- Apply a starter Fertilizer at rate of 400 lbs. / acre
(10-10-10 is a good choice). (9 lbs. per 1000 sq. ft.)
- Incorporate, by tilling or similar method to a dept of 4-6
inches and remove any debris, sticks or stones.
- Drag Smooth
- Using a drop or broadcast spreader -- Uniformly spread
Zoysia seeds at 70 to 100 pounds of Zenith Zoysia seed per acre.
If using a mechanical slit seeder, plant at 2 inch centers for
best results. Seeding rates are higher for Compadre seed.
- Rake lightly and roll smooth to insure good seed soil
- DO NOT COVER (BURY) SEED more than 1/4 inch (6mm)
deep. Light is necessary for germination to occur and
covering the seed too deep will result in problems. Try
for a 1/8 to 1/4 inch coverage.
- Irrigate to keep soil moist (two to three times daily /
minimum) for the first 14 to 21 days OR until seedlings are
- After seedlings have emerged, irrigate to keep good moisture
in the soil to a depth of one inch (NO standing water).
- DO NOT OVER WATER! Too much water will retard
the growth of seeded zoysia grasses and encourage seedling diseases.
- Once seedlings have emerged, apply a starter fertilizer such
as 5-10-15 or simarlar analysis at the rate of 400 pounds per
acre. (9 lbs. per 1000 sq. ft)
- Next apply 100 pounds of Ammonium Nitrate per acre every 2
to 3 weeks until turf has covered. (Approximately 2 lbs.
per 1000 sq. ft).
- Avoid application of fertilizers high in nitrogen in the
- For established turf (year 2 and beyond), apply the
equivalent of 1 pound of nitrogen every 2 to 4 growing months as
a slow release or organic balanced fertilizer. Use a
fertilizer based on soil test results.
- Pre-emergent chemicals can be applied after seedling
emergence (at least 3 weeks after seedlings emerge) in
accordance with product label directions. Spring and Fall
applications of weed and feed products on established turf is
encouraged. Look for a product labeled for use on Zoysia
READ MORE ON PLANTING ZOYSIA SEEDS
NOTICE: Please note that we ONLY
recommend Zoysia seeds for use in bare soil areas.
Planting seeds into existing grasses has a HIGH
FAILURE rate. If planting into an existing lawn
(grass and/or weeds) we recommend that you consider
using Zoysia Zoysia Grass plugs
instead of seeds. - Zoysia seeds also are difficult to
achieve germination in low light / shady areas.
Use plugs in these areas for best results.
MOWING - Fairway Heights and Lawns
- If mowing with a reel mower begin mowing at 1 inch as soon
as grass or weeds can be cut (Same with rotary).
- Continue mowing at 1 inch if you wish to maintain at this
height. For tees / fairways you can gradually reduce to
12/ to 3/4 inch heights until grown-in. Always use a sharp
mower blade. Zoysia will require less mowing than Bermuda
(As many as 10 times less in a normal year).
a beautiful tomorrow!®
© 1999 - 2013 Seedland®, Inc. - All rights reserved.
LAWN QUESTIONS YOU NEED ANSWERED?